Hackney 132 kV GIS Substation
Early in 2008 Powell Engineering were awarded the contract for the M & E installation of a 132 kV substation at Hackney in East London for Areva/EDFe. This turnkey substation was to be built to supply 'Olympic City' and reinforce the DNO supply locally.
Out remit was as follows: -
- Installation of 14 bays (7 banked) 132 GIS Areva F35-2 bays.
- SF6 processing, assist with GIS function checks and assist with GIS HV test.
- Supply and installation of all earthing within the substation.
- Supply, manufacture and install GIS access platforms.
- Installation of all protection/control/battery boards and LVAC equipment.
- Supply and install cable management, install cables, gland and terminate all cables.
- Completion of 'as built' drawings.
This would entail: -
- Project and financial control of the scheme.
- Management and supply of resources.
- Waste disposal.
- Timely procurement and delivery of plant and materials
Logistically the project was not without problems, an inner city location meant that entrance to the site was extremely restricted and installation of scaffold deck to a basement area was constrained. These problems were successfully overcome.
The project was completed without a single lost time accident.
The project was successfully delivered on time and within budget in November 2008.
The following comment supplied by Phil McKenna Areva PM for the project. 'Please pass on my thanks to all involved with this project.... a big pat on the back for those involved'.